Scene: The two “controversial” beauty pageants in Ubay town: Miss Ubay 2017 organized by the Rotary Club of Ubay (Jan. 24) and Matahum sa Ubay 2017 (Jan. 26) organized by the local government unit of Ubay.
Seen: Jim Paredes of Apo Hiking Society during the 17th Ubi Festival.
Scene: Pres. Donald J. Trump, the 45th president of the United States of America, gave one of the shortest inaugural speeches ever given on Friday with heavy emphasis on nationalism: “Your voice, your hopes, and your dreams will define our American destiny. Your courage and goodness and love will forever guide us along the way. Together, we will make America strong again. We will make America wealthy again. We will make America proud again. We will make America safe again. Yes, together we will make America great again.”
Scene: Whale sharks (not killer sharks) were spotted off Barangay Malinao in Garcia Hernandez town. According to Dr. Alessandro Ponzo of Large Marine Vertebrate Project Philippines (Lamave),the whale sharks were feeding in the area. “They just follow the plankton bloom,” he said. The whale sharks are protected by the Philippine law since 1998. “They need to be respected for what they are. Magnificent wild animals. The local government units should ensure that the coastal habitat are healthy and clean from plastic, one of the big threats for marine wildlife,” said Doc Ale.
Scene: The Miss Universe 2016 coronation night is on Monday (January 30), at the Mall of Asia (MOA) Arena at 8 a.m. This is the 3rd time the pageant is happening in the Philippines. The first one was in 1974 when Spain's Amparo Muñoz was crowned while the second happened in 1994 with Sushmita Sen of India winning as Miss Universe. Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach won the title on December 20, (December 21 in Manila) 2015, after more than 4 decades of special awards and podium finishes.
When the Rooster crows at the start of its year (Jan. 28, 2017, according to the Chinese Calendar), a lot of VRS readers who are diehard believers in the horoscope and feng shui have been asking what’s in store for them in 2017? Will they be pretty? Will they be rich? Well, it’s hard to tell.
Snake Princess (with Medyo Maldito in this photo)
is another big personality in 2017.
Courtesy: Snake Princess Facebook
The Year of the Rooster expresses inner warmth and insight, as well as the quietness of privacy and family ties, according to astrologers and feng shui experts.
Gold, brown and yellow are lucky colors of 2017, they said.
This year is often marked by brilliant success for those who have endured with patience the draining and often solitary build-up of a business project. It is also a year of a blend of righteousness and justice, bombast and logistical efficiency. Public and private administration jobs, military careers or police jobs are highly favored.
And as tradition is hard to break, this corner’s “Tagna-Tagna” has a good batting average, with 98 percent credibility!
(A gentle reminder: Readers are not constrained to take the “predictions” seriously. As I said, these are all tagna-tagna (bunga lang sa panghunahuna) and I could be wrong, you know.)
Now, let’s take a quick look at what the notorious and the famous Boholanos have in store for them for the Year of the Rooster.
• A busy year for Snake Princess and Medyo Maldito. The duo will have a “controversial” revelation.
• Former beauty queen Anna Maris Igpit will start having morning sickness middle of the year and it will make her husband Aussie football player Thomas Taylor very happy.
• Gian Ale will bounce back and spring a big surprise on all of us, proving to all and sundry that he’s not done yet, career-wise. Same for TinTin Ng and Lailette Boiser.
• Miss Bohol 2014 Queenie Melody Fullante will finally find a boyfriend who is romantic, confident, artistic, foreign, free spirit (aka the bad boy), intelligent/witty and considerate!
• Tableya Princess Dalareich Polot will remain loveless. Oopps, someone will come!
• Laywer Joan Jagonos and husband Benjie Oliva will welcome the stork’s visit before the end of the year, also for Abdul Wallace and Chandrina Elluiska Schreurs.
• Actress Rich Asuncion and her beau are planning to seal their love this year despite her busy and hectic showbiz career.
•Lawyer Ingemar Macarine aka Pinoy Aquaman will make a world-breaking record.
• Something “big” is in store for Vivoree.
• Julia Faith Joaquin’s star will shine even brighter and bigger.
• A popular personality will become the new “face” of Touch of April of Dr. April Lumuthang-Froilan as Doc April beautifies the province.
• It will be a busy year for Prof. Marianito Luspo, Joey Labrador, Nestor Pestelos, Direk Maryo delos Reyes and cultural icon Lutgardo Labad.
• A “super-bonggacious” fashion show will feature Boholano fashion artists and couturiers—Shanon Pamaong , Maximiel Tallo, EJ Relampagos, Rhigel Dulfo Jong Magallano, Omie Auza, Henry Baron, Bebie Tagoctoc and Tracy Remolador Torres— to display their artistic collections! After the show, they will establish a fashion and interior design school.
• Rex Alba will have another challenging role in movies.
• Center Stage Band will finally (finally!!!) release their debut album.
• Miss Bohol 2016 and Miss JCI-Philippines 2016 Glyssa Perez will join a national beauty pageant, the second Boholano to bring home the crown.
•dyRD’s Glee Orcullo and her friend Poybe Ingking will finally release a new album.
• Something “big” is in store for the first Mister Supranational Philippines AR de la Serna.
And now, the blind items:
• A new talent from Bohol will rise to make Boholanos proud.
• Another big scandal will shake the political scene!
• A high ranking official and a young politician will find themselves in a headline-hogging controversy.
•Bohol will produce more topnotchers in the field of education, nursing and engineering.
• A beauty pageant organizer and host will draw controversies.
• A popular radio program will undergo a major revamp.
• A popular young couple might not reconcile despite “intervention” and it will end in a bitter court battle.
• A drug-related scandal will rock the business industry, including local leaders.
• A popular radio personality will quit the first love for many years, leaving the followers (this one included) orphaned. It will be a long story.
Thanks for your letters, all will be answered. Comments welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org, follow leoudtohanINQ at Twitter /Facebook.