• Who will run, who will not, who may, who might
• Family and friends mourn the death of Uly Dolojol
ageant for alternatives, another pride of Bohol beaming towards bagging the most prestigious Search for Queen of Cebu 2012,” says fashion icon EJ Relampagos. To support Miss Paraguay, visit Queen of Cebu on Facebook.
Scene: Some 6,000 barangay officials from the 1,109 barangays all over Bohol and other invited guests welcomed Pres. Noynoy Aquino on Sept. 26, at the Bohol Wisdom School gym for the 1st Bohol Barangay Day celebration. Pres. Aquino also stood as witness to the oathtaking of hundreds of converts of the Liberal Party. Spotted were Senator TJ Guingona, Energy Secretary Rene Almendras, Secretary Edwin Lacierda, Akbayan Rep. Riza Hontiveros , Gov. Edgar Chatto, Vice Gov. Concepcion Lim, Rep. Rene Relampagos (1st district, Bohol), Trinidad Mayor Roberto Cajes, ABC President Crispina Vergara, Ae Damalerio and provincial board members .
Scene: Alay Lakad 2012 is on October 7 instead of Sept. 30, which is Milo Marathon day.
The sudden death of eventologist and Alona's darling, Uly Dolojol, last Sunday, Sept. 23, shocked friends all over Bohol. The outpouring of grief was immediate, with one common refrain: Alona Beach had lost one of its greatest persons.
Bohol's seasoned host Raul Gatal, one of Uly’s closest friends, says it all:
I have been in a state of catatonia since I received the devastating news yesterday morning that a good friend of mine has just passed away.
|Raul and Uly (right) in 2009|
I am grieving and I am so saddened by his untimely demise. Mind you, it's not pro forma grief but real pain and anguish
Early last year, just before the 10th year bash of his swinging Oops! Bar which is ideally located right smack in the middle of the entire Alona Beach stretch, we had a falling out. It was a simple, petty misunderstanding that soon blew out of proportion. Add some intrigues here and bloated egos there and it was a point of no return. Some well- meaning friends tried to step in and intervene but these were simply exercises in futility
Crossing paths in a very small community where everybody knows everybody became an acid test for civility. Exchanging dagger looks and giving each other the cold shoulder treatment became a common occurrence that it soon bordered on the comical. But what's funny about losing a friend? The wedges between us became so deep that it became clear to those in the know that it was impossible for us to become friends again.
I thought I had moved on. I thought I had everything covered. I was coasting along with my second lease on life when the call came yesterday morning
Right now, I am so distraught and my heart bleeds for dear Uly with whom I shared a lot of personal and private triumphs, the small intoxicating doses of hedonism and his constant advice on how to live a worry- free life. He is gone now and I really regret that I wasn't able to say sorry and for not telling him how wonderful he was as a friend
Alona Beach would never be the same again. Uly was the master planner and a wiz when it comes to events and especially when it has something to do with creating noise and making waves. The signature pose, his boisterous laughter and his witty punchlines ...all these would be memories from now on.
I'm sure right now as I am blogging this very minute that Uly is up there and peering down from where he is ensconced, he is asking "My oh my, what's the big fuss dahleeng?"
Uly, sleep tight now. Goodbye, my friend...
“Yes, wala nay atrasay, go, go, go na si Congressman Arthur Yap,” a political consultant and businesswoman aka the Genius Lady (GL) told Bared in a chance interview the other day at The Buzzz Cafe.
The widely-smiling GL was shopping alone, sans the usual alalay (factotum) rich people can’t do without.
“I love reading your column but you no longer include tsismis and blind items!” said GL. “Those are colorful elements of entertainment column.”
With a glass of corn coffee and carrot muffins, the conversation proceeded without any further hitch.
“Dong Leo, Yap is not afraid of Loboc Mayor Leon Calipusan, businessman Angelo Balili and Dr. Elpidio Jala this coming election. Yap is really prepared,” warned GL, making the sign of “okay”.
|3rd district Rep. Arthur Yap (center) who is seeking reelection might face businessman Angelo Balili (left) and educator Elpidio Jala in 2013 elections.|
Added GL: “Congressman Yap is running to further serve the people of third district because three years is too short a period for a long list of projects and full program to make up for the many years prior his stint that 3rd district had been lagging behind the two other districts in the province.”
How about the critics who are (again) saying Rep.Yap is not a pure Boholano?
“Who is lumad nga Bol-anon among us? It’s the Eskaya tribe. Not the critics. Moreover, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) has already resolved the issue on his residency wherein Comelec ruled that Yap has complied the minimum length of time required for him to qualify to run as congressman of 3rd district. That cropped up in 2010 elections. And after having served for over two years and a half, obviously the issue is moot and academic. The people will vote you not because you are Boholano or not, but because you showed sincerity and your intentions are genuine. Depriving one to serve because he is not lumad Bol-anon is racial discrimination.”
Flashing a big mysterious smile, GL whispered, “There will be a lot of surprises next week! You wait and see!”
And while we are at it, here’s a rundown of those who will run, who will not run, who may run and who might not run in 2013 elections (that is, if, a big if, there would be elections next year). We will know who are officially running after the filing of certificate of candidacy (CoC) on Oct. 1-5. The list will grow longer and longer. You bet?
WHO WILL RUN
• Incumbent Gov. Edgar Chatto (For same position)
• Carmen Mayor Che Toribio-Delos Reyes (For Governor)
• Rep. Rene Relampagos (For reelection)
• Rep. Arthur Yap (For same position)
• Vice Governor Conching Lim (For reelection?)
• Rep. Erico Aumentado (For same position)
• Dr. Abe Lim (For Mayor of Tagbilaran City)
• Ex-Tagbilaran City Councilor Dodong Gonzaga (For Mayor of Tagbilaran City)
• Ex-Tagbilaran City Vice Mayor Toto Veloso (For Vice Mayor of Tagbilaran City)
• Trinidad Mayor Roberto Cajes (For Congressman of 2nd District of Bohol)
• Tagbilaran City Councilor Baba Yap (For Mayor of Tagbilaran)
• Tagbilaran City Councilor Kit Oppus (For Vice Mayor of Tagbilaran)
• Danao Mayor Thomas Gonzaga (For reelection)
• Panglao Vice-Mayor Evangeline Lazaro (For Mayor of Panglao?)
• Tagbilaran City Vice-Mayor Nuevas Tirol-Montes (For reelection)
• Ubay Mayor Eutiquio Bernales (For reelection)
• Dauis Mayor Jimmy Jimenez (For reelection)
• Sevilla Mayor Ernesita Digal (For reelection)
• Former Dagohoy Mayor Sofronio Apat (For Mayor)
• Loay Mayor Rosemarie Imboy (For reelection)
• Buenavista Mayor Ronald Lowell Tirol (For reelection)
• Mark Leo Monton (For Mayor of Balilihan)
• Ex-Tagbilaran City Councilor Dandan Bantugan (For Councilor of Tagbilaran City?)
• Inabanga Mayor Jono Jumamoy (For reelection)
• Bien Unido Mayor Niño Rey Boniel (For reelection)
• Gerry Pabe (For Councilor of Tagbilaran City)
WHO WILL NOT
• Ex-barangay captain Glorivic Yap ("Running for Tagbilaran City Councilor? She is campaigning for Gonzaga-Veloso!")
• Tessie Labunog-Sumampong ("For Councilor of Loboc? My husband Libby will run!")
• Aris Aumentado (“For board member? He will file his CoC in 2016!”)
• Ex-Mayor Jose Torralba (“For Mayor of Tagbilaran City? He will be campaigning for his wife Councilor Betty Torralba!”)
• Ex-Provincial Board Member Amalia Reyes-Tirol (“For Mayor of Ubay? She is busy as a wife and grandma!”)
• UB Registrar Leah Tirol-Magno (“For Councilor of Tagbilaran City? She is busy as an ICT Princess!”)
• Dr. Mutya Kismet Tirol- Macuno (“For Mayor of Ubay? She runs too, and plays tennis also!”)
WHO MAY RUN
• Businessman Angelo Balili (For Congressman of the 3rd district of Bohol?)
• Ex-Dauis Mayor Lulu Bongalos (For Mayor? )
• Andy Manatad (For Congressman of the 2nd district of Bohol?)
• Tagbilaran City Mayor Dan Lim (For Congressman of 1st district of Bohol?)
• Ex-Catigbian Councilor Doris Dinorog-Obena (For Mayor of Catigbian?)
• Ex-Panglao Councilor Nila Montero (For Mayor of Panglao?)
• Dr. Elpidio Jala (For Congressman of the 3rd district of Bohol?)
• Ex Vice-Governor Julius Cesar Herrera (For Vice Governor? Or, for Congressman of the 1st district of Bohol?)
• Former SK Bohol President Bobbith Cajes-Auza (For Mayor of Talibon?)
• Ex-provincial board member Corazon Galbreath (For Mayor of Bilar?)
• Provincial Administrator Ae Damalerio (For Vice Governor?)
• Catigbian Mayor Bert Salinas (For Board Member? Or, for Congressman of the 1st district of Bohol?)
• Former Panglao Vice Mayor Pedro Fuertes (For Vice Mayor of Panglao?)
WHO MIGHT RUN
• Dr. Sharleen Lim (For Vice Governor?)
• Ed Macalandag (For Councilor of Tagbilaran City?)
• Barangay Captain Arlene Karaan (For board member?)
• Booy Barangay Captain Jun Telmo (For Councilor of Tagbilaran City?)
• Actor Cesar Montano (For Bohol Governor? "He is running in Manila.")
• Former Governor David Tirol (For Board Member? (“I didn’t hear it too. But he is running everyday, about more than 1 km. a day!”)
Thanks for your letters, all will be answered. Comments welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org, follow leoudtohan at Twitter /Facebook.