Sunday, September 11, 2016

How do you overcome sadness?

When I’m sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead.” — Neil Patrick Harris (as Barney Stinson in ‘How I Met Your Mother’)

We encounter major losses in their lives, and sadly, many never get over them.  Sadness and depression may get to us during the times we least expect it. No one is exempt from experiencing this emotion.  Sadness is the feeling that comes from an unhappy event. Now, if you don’t deal with it, sadness can become chronic and lead to discouragement, despair, and finally depression.

‘Pray hard and God will work in a mysterious way,’
says Fely Orimaco-Gatal (extreme left) who is
 vacationing in the USA. Photo shows Fely with son,
US-based socialite Mikey Gatal, and
 friends –the Bagotchay family (Fidela, Leo and Alot)
at the Washington DC monument.
Contributed Photo
Our number one enemy is emotions. We tend to be led by how we feel, but we must realize that they change from day to day. For many years of my life, I experienced regular depression. When sadness strikes, I always remind myself to focus on the good and move on. After all, we have so many things in our life to be happy about. Appreciate those things, and suddenly our sadness will feel smaller and our happiness will grow larger. 

Another friend said, “It’s never too late to start over. If you weren’t happy with yesterday, try something different today. Don’t stay stuck. Do better.”

However, it is how we deal with it, how we face it that will make the difference.  Read on....

Rey Reformina- I drowned myself with a good expensive red wine and with a good conversation with a stranger in a bar and after that I’m good!

Mizken Tirol Andan- By thinking the good things that happened in your life and move on.

Phoebe Ingking- I simply think of it as a temporary state..and it will end soon. So it makes me hope I’ll be happy. As of the moment, I will spend time to contemplate with myself and find my inner peace. From there, there's a new learning, a renewed experience and feeling. And ohh, I never counter the feeling of being sad..let it be. I can definitely surpass any if a sound mental state and connection with Lord is maintained.

Clement Lofranco Ingking- Psalm 18:2 says, “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”

Fely Orimaco-Gatal- Pray hard and God will work in a mysterious way.

Atty. Julius Gregory Delgado- Workout to release endorphins which makes you feel good, pray and do charitable works. In that way, joy replaces sorrow over time.

Florabel Butawan-Arcamo- I listen to music to make me relax. 

Benjie Oliva- I go to Church and pray.

Dominic “Dobap” Aparicio- Go out with friends and make fun, make them laugh enjoy life while we can... Then little by little I can overcome my sadness...

Vera Villocido Gesite- I sing my heart out. I travel. 

***
BBNBC: Helping without expecting something in return

Help and forget.

This is how the members describe the way of life that guides the Bantay Bayan National-Bohol Chapter (BBNBC). They speak of helping and getting, but of helping and letting go. 

When the town of Loboc experienced unprecedented flooding in 2014, members of BBNBC quickly went to the area to help. 

Members of the Bantay Bayan National Bohol Chapter
headed by Jun Gutierrez together with Garcia-Hernandez
Mayor Tita Gallentes distribute slippers to 300 kids in
 Barangay Datag in this town.  Contributed Photo
Volunteer action in response to disasters is perhaps one of the clearest expressions of the human values that underpin the drive to attend to the needs of others.

“The 900 members of BBNBC who come from all walks of life find time to help without expecting anything in return. You help then forget you gain something,” says BBNBC provincial director Jun “Alerto” Gutierrez, who’s also a media personality.

“Our members are a diverse lot, spanning all ages and occupation types. What they do have in common is a deep and abiding love to help our fellowmen,” adds Jun.  

Members clean schools for dengue prevention, help build houses, and become traffic enforcers in many events and even pallbearers.

As a provincial director, Jun focuses on mentoring and encouraging team members toward opportunities that will help them reach their full potential. 

Jun talks a lot about the camaraderie of the group to conquer significant challenges. 

“It’s about help. It’s been fun learning and growing together,” he says. 

Just recently, the BBNBC together with Guardians Forces Brotherhood Against Crime International Inc. (GFBI Bohol) and The Brod Riders, a group of Bohol- based bike enthusiasts, led by P03 Meshielo Vedra  distributed slippers to more than 300 pupils of Datag Elementary School in Garcia- Hernandez town  last August 28. They were joined by Garcia- Hernandez Mayor Tita Gallentes and Police Sen. Insp. Rey Olair, chief of Garcia-Hernandez police.  The members also conducted an anti-drug abuse campaign. 

Jun feels he has become much more aware of those in need of help, as well as those who unselfishly volunteer their time and energy to help others.

“Volunteering at Bantay Bayan-National Bohol Chapter is the perfect way to meet new friends and add self worth and adventure to your life,” says Jun. 

***
Thanks for your letters, all will be answered. Comments welcome at leoudtohan@yahoo.com, follow leoudtohan at Twitter /Facebook.

1 comment:

Longmont Doors said...

Thank yyou for sharing this